Friday, November 2, 2012

A Little School at Home


In August, I decided that it was time for me to buckle down and start a little home schooling with James.  He is 3 now, and not in any mother's day out or preschool program yet, so what I teach him is all he gets.  And I realized, I am not really teaching him anything!  (school-related, that is :)

I talked with friends and family to see what they did with their children and got some great ideas.  Then I bookmarked a few blogs that had some great home schooling plans and print outs that I could use.

My goals for James for the year would be:

*Letter Recognition
*Number Recognition
*Learning Patterns
*Learning Left vs Right
*Size Comparisons
*Pre-Writing Skills
*Cutting with Scissors
*Memorizing Bible Verses
*Toddler Math skills
*Toddler Science
*Learning about- weather, days of the week, etc 

So I stay flexible and strive to do 2-3 days of little school sessions with James.
We do a LETTER OF THE WEEK and coordinate reading, crafts, and activities with that letter.
We also try to find mini field trips to do when I can organize that with the letter too :)

At first it worked out great, because I would have my school lesson with James while Reese took her morning nap.  Now that Reese only takes one afternoon nap at the same time that James is resting, I just have to keep her occupied with her own "special school lesson" too ! :) (coloring, tearing paper, reading to her too, etc)

Here are a few pictures of our school time so far :)

Apple Stamping


Letter B craft

Making a Bird Feeder


Visiting fish at a pet store while studying the Letter F


(We had to visit the snakes too :)


Visiting the Collierville Fire Station!
We went with one of James' buddies, Parker.


James, Parker, Reese, me :)


Parker's mommy, Kelly, is a good friend from my gymnastics days!
Just love her!  We had so much fun!

More school pictures to come throughout the year :)







No comments:

Post a Comment